How strange is this? Two days in a row having fun, not working, AND this fun did not involve my house or my family. I love my family and I love spending time with them BUT I have not had any fun outside of the house for two days in a row that did not involve work or family. Well, I was hanging out with friends from work but outside of work.
Tuesday night I drove out to Nashville to have a couple drinks and hang out with some friends. I met Janette and Christie at work so I could follow them to this restaurant called Red which is attached to a bar called Tribe. We were to meet Ron and his partner, Jack, and another friend from work, Shane, at this place.
Us girls entered the restaurant and it was funny because I noticed everyone kind of turn towards us. I thought we just entered loudly or something. We looked around the restaurant and didn't see Ron or Shane, so we walked around the corner to the lounge area. Ron was sitting there watching TV. We went back to the restaurant area and sat by the window and we were given the menus. I had already eaten at home, so I wasn't planning on ordering any food but I wanted to see what they had for future reference, if I wanted to come back. I started giggling because this menu was pretty original in it's titles.
Instead of Appetizers it was called "Foreplay". Tossed salads titled with the word "tossed" very emphasized. Sandwiches were called "Meat in the Middle" and it was at that point where I reached a realization. I looked back up and around the room. Janette, Christie and I were the ONLY women in sight. My eyes widened in recognition that I was sitting in a gay bar! This was my very first time and I remember thinking that even though I am an adult, if my mother were here she would yank me out of there so fast I'd have whiplash and nursemaid elbow from the strength of her pull. I mentally shrugged and thought, "Well, add this to another column of eye-opening experiences."
The others ate their meals and we had great conversations. Jack is a flight attendant and has some very interesting stories. To him the world is so small, for instance, he was talking about how he was telling a friend he had to go pick up his paycheck that day and that they could go out for dinner instead of lunch. The friend said to him, "Pick it up at the airport? We could still make lunch." To which Jack said, "No, I have to fly to Cincinnati and I'll be back in 3 hrs." Flying is such a big deal to me and to him it is like getting in a car.
Then yesterday, I volunteered for 2 hrs in Noah's class by doing a project for the teacher that she has never had the time to do. After that, I went with Janette to eat lunch at The Looking Glass. I love that place and I was so glad she wanted to go. We then met up with her jeweler who designs, creates, and sells jewelry. Some of his stuff is a bit gaudy for my tastes but Janette loves that stuff. He had the most beautiful gray pearl necklace, a pretty simple square setting diamond ring, and a few other things I wish I could afford. Someday! We met him at this antique shop - which I plan on going back to in the future. It is PACKED as packed can be, but it isn't all junk - there are a lot of very nice things. I saw a bunch of things I want. Too bad I don't have the money. I had a really good time yesterday too.
Today is my lazy day. I want to wear my pajamas all day and watch TV.
At the airport..again :0)
14 years ago


1 comment:
i swear i commented on this already... Anyway, glad you had some time with "the girls". you deserve it!!
Post a Comment